So I was recently listening to the guys over on Fundamentally Flawed, a podcast I thoroughly enjoy, and they had Hezekiah Ahaz on the program for a 2nd time. Now I couldn’t make it through the first appearance of our friend Hezekiah on the Fundamentally Flawed podcast, due to the fact I couldn’t hear it over my own laughter. These Atheists did little to make a mockery out of him, so you can imagine how surprised I was to find he was back for a second round.
What surprised me even more was when they asked him about polytheistic views and he said “…if you find one, bring him on…”. Now this shouldn’t shock me, these types of claims are pretty common, from my experience, when dealing with someone of blind faith. But what truly surprised me is for close to a week prior I had been asking him questions from a polytheistic world view, and he even went as far as to say “I don’t care.” as an answer to a question. You can see the thread here.
I asked him:
“…By the way… What if I said I was bestowed my knowledge through communing with a God and Goddess through ritualistic prayer? My god stories are older than your god stories, and I actually commune with my gods, sounds like I have more room to make claims of knowledge and wisdom granted by deity than you do, you claim you don’t hear your god, yet understand what he says, are you sure he’s not speaking Spanish?”
His only response was:
I dont care.”
So, after I heard this response to the FF guys I decided to post how funny I found such a comment to be, you can read the full thread here. In probably a hurried and not so thought out response he challenged me to a debate of world views. His Christian Monotheist world view vs. a Polytheist world view. As someone who has believed in polytheism since childhood I welcomed such a debate. I offered it to be on the FF podcast but instead he desired it to be on Evolution of Skepticism, while normally I would prefer someone I consider an authority on a subject to be interviewed, I am also not one to back down from a challenge.
So here’s the plan, we will have a traditional debate, meaning question and answer. This will not be an argument where the one who can talk loudest wins. So here are the rules:
- At the beginning each respondent will receive 3 minutes to present a short dialog about their world view.
- After a question is asked each respondent will have 2 minutes to respond with their world views answer.
- After 2 minutes the respondent will be stopped and either the next respondent will get their chance to respond or another question will be asked.
- If a respondent interrupts the question that respondent will forfeit their 2 minute response.
- If a respondent interrupts the answer of the other they will forfeit their next 2 minute response.
- If we reach 2 forfeits, the debate will be stopped and will not continue.
- Debaters cannot ask questions of the other respondent, the only person allowed to ask questions will be the moderator.
- There will be no personal attacks towards respondents if this rule is violated the debate will end immediately.
I don’t like a lot of rules but I do believe guidelines will be necessary in this situation, and I wanted to post them to make sure everyone understood what was expected.
Now, here’s where I need help from others, I would like to receive questions that will be used in the debate. Please leave your questions in the comments below. We will only use 2 questions from each person (including 2 from each respondent) so if there are more than 2, so please make them worth it!
The debate has been scheduled for Wednesday, May 02, 2012 @ 1 PM EDT, so if you want your questions asked please submit them prior to Midnight on Tuesday May 03, 2012.